Tis the season for requesting letters of reference and recommendation from faculty and campus employers. A few important tips to assure you get the best possible letter.
1. Provide a minimum of three weeks for your reference to write the letter.
2. Provide sample work to remind them who you are and what you achieved.
3. Let them know something about why you are applying to this position so they can tailor the letter more accurately.
4. Ask if you should send a reminder email a week before the letter is due.
5. Last but not least, verify that they actually feel comfortable writing you a STRONG positive letter. ASK.
6. If they say yes, you can forward your name and application materials to them with a note “letter to follow.”