By shuette | February 1, 2010
Regardless of the effectiveness of PowerPoint presentations, they abound in the education and business environments. I know I have a dozen slide presentations I use in my classes, for better or worse. When putting together an instructional blog, I have found that these PowerPoints can be very helpful as resources to post on the blog. Which poses the question of how does one post PowerPoints to a WordPress blog in either a post or a page (NOTE: the process is essentially the same regardless of whether you are putting the PowerPoint in a post or a page.)
These instructions are based on the installation of WordPress MU that we are using here in the Arts and Administration Program at the U of O. There are essentially two ways to place a PowerPoint in a WP post or page, the simple way and the cool way.
The Simple Way
The easiest way to add a PowerPoint to a WP post or page is to upload it to the Media Library of your blog and to insert a link to it in the post or page. Here’s how.
- While on the
Editscreen for the post or page, click the
Add Mediaicon above the
Visual Editor. The
Add Mediaicon is the one that looks like a star.
Add Mediawindow appears. Click the
- Browse for the PowerPoint you wish to add. Click
- Edit the
Descriptionto your liking and then click the
Insert Into Postbutton.
- That’s it! There is now a link to your PowerPoint in your post or page that your readers can download and view on their computer.
The Cool Way
Why is this way cool? Unlike the previous method, this Cool Way of adding PowerPoints to a WP post or page actually embeds a live version of the slideshow in the post or page. Viewers can interact with and view the slideshow right from your page. They do not have to click a link, download or have to have PowerPoint to view your slideshow. Granted there are more steps to follow in order to go the Cool Way.
- The first step is to create an account on SlideShare and then upload your PowerPoint. Creating an account is just like any other online service and uploading a PowerPoint to SlideShare is just as easy as uploading it to your WP blog. Here is a video tutorial on how to upload to SlideShare.
- After you have successfully uploaded your PowerPoint to SlideShare you need to locate and copy the
Embed Code. It will be located directly under your name in the right hand column of the SlideShare screen on the view page for you PowerPoint. Once you locate it. Select and copy the code.
- Once you have uploaded to SlideShare and copied the embed code to your clipboard, you need to activate a plugin on your AAABlogs WP blog. Click on the
Pluginsmenu in your
- On the
Manage Pluginsscreen that loads, scroll to the bottom and locate the plugin called
- Click the
Activatelink under the Addtional Tags title in order to make the plugin active on your blog.
- Go to the post or page you wish to edit and click on the
HTML tabin the edit screen to switch from the
Visual Editorto the
- Click to place the insertion point in the text entry area of the
HTML Editor. Paste the
Embed Codefrom your Clipboard.
- At this point, click
Save Draft. You may switch back to the
Visual Editorand add additional content. Publish your post or page when you are finished.
- You now have a new cool embedded PowerPoint in your post or page!
Here is an Example
3 Responses to “Embedding PowerPoints in WordPress using Slideshare”
You must be logged in to post a comment.